The trees are changing, leaves are falling, and Fall leaf collection is in full swing in Oak Park. Running through December 6, residents can have their leaves picked up by Public Works on one of eight separate days in each area. The dates for pickup are based on where you live in Oak Park.
If you would like to have your leaves picked up, you’ll need to rake the leaves into the street and at least 18 inches from the curb on the day before the pickup date. Public Works will come by that night to push the leaves into a large pile so that pick up is easier the next day. If you happen to miss the scheduled pick up, make sure to keep your leaves on the parkway until the following available date so that the roads stay safe and clear.
Public Works has also asked that Oak Park residents adhere to the following rules:
- Consider composting or using the leaves as garden mulch as an alternative to raking.
- Inform landscape services of the leaf collection schedule.
- Rake leaves out the day before the scheduled pickup date.
- Leaves only — do not add brush, grass clippings or yard waste.
- Do not park on or near a pile of leaves, which can hinder leaf removal operations. Heat from a car also could ignite the leaves.
- Rake leaves onto side streets whenever possible. Try to avoid major thoroughfares where piles of leaves might create traffic hazards.
- Do not rake leaves into or close to cul de sacs or traffic diverters. The equipment needs room to operate.
- Do not rake leaves into or close to bus shelters or bicycle racks.
- Keep catch basins clear of raked leaves to avoid flooding.
- Obey all parking restrictions. Regulations are strictly enforced.
- Dampen piles after raking to avoid leaves being blown by the wind.
- Drive carefully. Leaves are slippery when wet and large piles may hinder visibility.
- Stay alert. Intersections may be closed temporarily to create safe work zones to remove large leaf piles.
For more information about leaf collection in Oak Park, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 708-358-5700.