It’s the last weekend before Christmas. Finished your shopping yet? Here’s a list of festive themed activities happening around Oak Park this weekend.
Friday December 19th
Carnival of the Animals Annual Winter Concert – The Windy City String and Violin & Viola Studio of Michael Hining will be hosting an evening of animal inspired music at Grace Lutheran Church at 7pm. $10 suggested donation and all proceeds will be donated to the Animal Care League. 7300 Division Street, River Forest.
Oak Parks Art District Third Friday Gallery Walk – Every 3rd Friday of the Month, the Oak Park Arts District galleries are open for special events from 6-10 pm. Enjoy dinner in the district and stroll the galleries. Some of the options include:
- Harrison Works: “Original Cigar Box Ukuleles” by Larry Vitalo, 6-10pm, 17 Harrison
- Art Gecko: Re-Gift with a Twist, 6-9pm, 21 Harrison
- Expression Graphics: The gallery will be open with prints, cards, and ornaments for sale. Drop in portrait drawings by Steve Fisher will be ongoing. 29 Harrison
- Dancing Krow Studio: Solstice Candle Ceremony at 8pm, evening runs 6-10pm, 41 -43 Harrison
- Art Project Gallery: Olivera Pudar and Marc Servin present their paintings and drawings. The gallery is known for its high standards and quality, and features cutting-edge figurative art. Come by and enjoy the work, and a glass of wine! 6-10pm, 140 Harrison
- Bead in Hand: $5 Drop-In Workshop, Button Wreath Ornament, 6-9pm, 145 Harrison
- Gallery PINK: “Twas the night before Christmas,” a holiday show featuring the ceramics of Angela Dieffenbach and paperwork of Laurie LeBreton plus wonderful affordable art by many other artists, 6-9pm, 149 Harrison
- Buzz Café: Burgers, Beers & Bands featuring The Sterns, 5-9pm, 905 South Lombard
Open Door Repertory “The League of Improv Heroes” – Laugh the night away with faculty from Chicago’s famed Second City improv troupe. Tickets are $15. Open Door Repertory Company, 902 South Ridgeland in Oak Park. http://www.opendoorrep.org/tickets or 708.342.0810
Saturday December 20th
Free Tours at the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio – See the beautiful Wright family home decorated for the holidays. View our featured story at http://aroundoakpark.com/2014/12/12/experience-the-holidays-as-frank-lloyd-wright-did/
Downtown Oak Park’s “Home for the Holidays” – FREE horse-drawn sleigh rides and a visit from Santa. At 10am enjoy a FREE screening of Home Alone at Lake Theatre. From 11am-3pm there will be FREE horse-drawn sleigh rides, boarding at 106 N Marion in front of Muse, as well as hot cocoa available in the Warming Tent on Westgate. From 12-1 pm, enjoy holiday carols by Route 66. And the highlight, from 12-3 pm, Santa will be out and about looking for photo-ops on his way to the North Pole. All events are FREE. http://www.downtownoakpark.net/signature-event/home-holidays/
Oak Park Concert Chorale Presents “The Eastern Star” – Seven Chicago area composers will be highlighted in an evening of chorale holiday performance, directed by Paul Lindblad. The concert will start at 4 pm at St. Paul Lutheran Church, at 1025 West Lake Street in Melrose Park. General Admission is $18, Seniors/Students are $10. Group Rates are available. You can purchase tickets ahead of time by visiting their website http://www.oakparkconcertchorale.org/. For more info, visit the website or call 708.383.4742.
Open Door Repertory “Trillium’s Back Home for the Holidays” – Join Trillium, a Chicago-area acoustic fold quartet, with an eclectic repertoire ranging from Celtic to bluegrass to ragtime to swing. Any and all tastes will be pleased! Trillium will be playing fun holiday tunes as well as songs from their regular repertoire. General Admission is $18, Group rates for 8 or more are $15 a person. Students/Seniors are $15 with group rates for Students/Seniors at $13 a person. Open Door Repertory Company, 902 South Ridgeland in Oak Park. http://www.opendoorrep.org/tickets or 708.342.0810