The word “community” means a lot to Oak Parkers. The people that live here come together when needed because they are proud to call this place home. Why? Is it the schools? Local businesses? Local government? Restaurants, bars? I think it’s a combination of all of these factors, but the people that make up the community carries the most weight.
If you are available on Saturday morning, you can take part in helping one of our neighbors who is currently undergoing cancer treatment. For details regarding this fundraiser, keep reading. We’ve also included several other activities and ideas to help make your weekend enjoyable. Happy Friday, Oak Park!
Movie Fundraiser – “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2”
The Oak Park Women’s Guild is hosting a movie fundraiser at Lake Theatre on Saturday, Feb. 27 to benefit the Wieland family. Lisa Wieland began cancer treatment last summer while she was five months pregnant with her third child, according to the Oak Park Women’s Guild. Tickets to see “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2” are $5; these can be purchased at the Lake Theatre box office. Doors open at 9 a.m. with the moving beginning at 10 a.m.
“Victim in Vaudeville” Murder Mystery at Pleasant Home
Friday, Feb. 26 at 7 p.m.
According to the Pleasant Home website: Pleasant Home is the perfect historical setting for a night of intrigue & entertainment. Our ‘Master of Ceremonies’ – Detective Otis Hershel – will lead audience members in their search for clues to solve the mystery of the Victim in Vaudeville. The evening will include a short ‘vaudeville’ performance and the opportunity to interact with performers, as well as other guests, in an attempt to solve the case. Beer, wine and light appetizers will be served.
Friday Night Ice
Ridgeland Common Ice Arena, 415 Lake St., is hosting Friday Night Ice from 8:30-10:30 p.m. for junior high students (grades 6-8). There will be music, food, giveaways, and more. The price is $10 (or $5 with a pass) and skate rentals are an additional $3.
Saturday Fun Run
There will be two “Best Foot Forward” Saturday morning fun runs: 6 miles at 7:30 a.m., or 3 miles at 8 a.m. The group will meet at Panera Bread, 7349 Lake St in River Forest. These fun runs are open to runners of all ages, experience, and ability level.
Get involved with the annual Predict the Oscars contest
Customers can complete by picking up, completing and depositing their completed ballots in the lobby of Lake Theatre, 1022 Lake St., Oak Park, until Saturday, Feb. 27. The Grand Prize Winner will receive free movies for two for an entire year at any Classic Cinemas location along with a gift card valued at $200. For more information, visit classiccinemas.com.
Three Restaurant Suggestions
- Trattoria 225 (225 Harrison St.) – Italian Restaurant serving wood-fired pizza, salads and house-made pasta.
- Cucina Paradiso (814 North Blvd.) – Contemporary spot for small & large plates. Close to the Oak Park Green Line if you don’t have wheels.
- Hemingway’s Bistro (211 N Oak Park Ave.) – French bistro with an extensive wine list and brunch buffet.
Three Bar Suggestions
- O’Sullivan’s Public House (7244 Madison St., Forest Park) – Neighborhood vibe with an extensive craft beer list and games on TV.
- Poor Phil’s (139 S. Marion St.) – Several beers on draft and a laid back environment. This spot also has great seafood.
- Fatduck Tavern & Grill (7218 Madison St., Forest Park) – Great place for microbrew fanatics. The beer list constantly changes, keeping things fresh and fun.