With several inches of snow falling overnight and possible blizzard-like conditions forecast for the rest of the day, you might have to cancel your Super Bowl plans. Here are some helpful tips from the City of Oak Park for managing this wintery storm:
1) Emergency Parking Rules in Effect as of 8am Sunday Feb. 1st – No parking is allowed on any designated snow route and is restricted to one side of the street for all other streets. If you usually park in a snow route, it is MANDATORY to move your car to a side street. For details on the snow emergency parking rules – including a list of snow routes and parking restrictions on residential streets – visit www.oak-park.us/snow or call708.358.7669 (SNOW).
2) Where to Park – If you park on a street that is not a posted snow route, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. you must park on the even numbered address side of the street on even number days (east and north sides of street) and on the odd numbered address side of the street on odd number days (west and south sides of street). Visit www.oak-park.us/snow for more details.
3) Sidewalk Shoveling is Required within 24 hours – Village Ordinance requires public sidewalks to be shoveled within 24 hours of any storm. Being a good neighbor is important, too, so property owners are urged to help those who may need help clearing a sidewalk. For more information on the shoveling requirement or help resources, call 708.358.5700 or email email@example.com.
4) Warming Centers are Open – The following warming centers are open and hours may be extended as weather warrants, so it’s best to call ahead for more information. If transportation is needed, call the Police non-emergency number at 708.386.3800.
— West Suburban Medical Center, Erie Street at Austin Boulevard, 5:30 am – 8:30 pm
— Rush Oak Park Hospital, 500 S. Maple Ave, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
— Oak Park Township, 130 S. Oak Park Ave, 8:00 am – 3:00 pm weekdays, for persons with disabilities or seniors over 60
— Village Hall, 123 Madison St, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm weekdays
— West Suburban PADS also provides shelter, the location rotating each night
5) For more information – Residents who wish to know when the emergency snow parking plan is in effect can call the snow hotline 708.358.7669 (SNOW) for a recorded message, which is updated if changes occur. Information also is broadcast on VOP-TV, the Village’s cable television station available to Comcast subscribers on channel 6 and AT&T subscribers on channel 99. In addition, information will be posted at oak-park.us and distributed via the Village’s Facebook page and Twitter feed.